Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 8 and overwhelmed?

Today was a busy day, as I mentioned last night to some friends, I told my children that we would be much more social when Daddy left, because it's how mommy copes :). And social we have been. Today I was up earlier than normal to get my neighbors sons off to school. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that a 12 year old has to get on the school bus at 6:30 in the morning! Seriously, the child would need to go bed at 7:30 to get the recommended amount of sleep for his age group. We know that's not happening. Add that as reason number 430 that I homeschool. His younger brother gets up at a much more reasonable 7:00 (actually I woke him up at 7:20) to leave for school at 8:00.

I then got my kids up and by 9:00 they were at their schoolwork in a highly motivated fashion. Why were they motivated? Because friends were coming at 1:00! I told you we'd be social. So 2 young men from our PWOC/homeschool group came over and I got to visit with one of their mom. I'm so thankful for that time. She's in the same boat I am, and it's just good to have women we can hang with. Then, the other young man's mom joined us with her little girls. It's so fun to watch my kids dote on her babies. They so desperately want younger siblings. I was so scared of raising boys, and I am so thankful for the young man Justus is becoming. Yes, he's only 9 but he's half way to "adulthood" and occasionally I get glimpses of the man he can be and it just knocks my socks off.

The kids played and we mom's visited right up to time for AWANA. It was a rush out the door and AWANA was just what we needed as well. I'm so thankful for the AWANA ministry and that I've been allowed to participate in this one. My T& T director shared news of support from folks who want to partner with us in a ministry opportunity. Then I got to talk with Mike more indepth today about Haiti and what he is experiencing there. Unfortunately, I can't share it all in such a public forum as this. But, I can say the smell isn't what he was told to expect (the kids and I have been wondering), but the human misery is more than we here in America can ever understand. Hence the overwhelmed portion of my title. I am overwhelmed by the need of the orphan there and a burden to cry out to God for the people of Haiti. I've been reminded today of God's direction in Matthew 10:16 "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and innocent as doves." That's a difficult thing to do. I think I may have to spend some time in study on this more. It takes a lot of prayer and self-evaluation to carry out such a weighty command. It's in this spirit that if you're the praying type. I would ask that you pray with and for Mike and I to be wise and innocent and that God will direct our steps for His glory.

Thanks and Blessings.

No comments: